Covid-19 vaccine development and Pandemic Response
The National Biopharma Mission (NBM) is an industry-Academia Collaborative Mission for accelerating biopharmaceutical development in the country.
- The mission will be implemented by Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC).
- The mission was approved in 2017 at a total cost of Rs 1500 crore and is 50% co-funded by World Bank
- The program is promoting entrepreneurship by supporting small and medium enterprises for indigenous product development (Novel Cell lines, indigenously developed Biologics, devices and Raw materials for Biologics manufacturing) and through establishment of shared facilities and Technology Transfer Offices.
- It is managed through a dedicated Program Management Unit (PMU) at BIRAC.
- The Technical Advisory Group (TAG) provides approval and reviews scientific progress of its components.
- Further downstream, domain specific Scientific Advisory Groups (SAG), each for the activities/ product development partnerships, are responsible for providing scientific decision making and knowledge and oversight necessary for TAG.
- Under this Mission the Government has launched Innovate in India (i3) programme to create an enabling ecosystem to promote entrepreneurship and indigenous manufacturing in the sector.
The Program would aid
- Academic researchers – through enhancing their translation capability
- Empower bio-entrepreneurs and SMEs -by decreased cost and risk during early stages of product development and
- Biopharma Industry-by elevating their innovation quotient